My good friend Robert Berwick has been on me for a few years now to work on a short evolution book that would help explain evolutionary biology and evolutionary thinking more broadly. This topic seems to kick up a lot of dust. Something about this topic impels people to make grand pronouncements from the Creationist insistence that we would be better off to look in a book than walk in the world or dive in the oceans to the voracious storytelling of the adaptationists who seem almost as keen to stay inside with the curtains drawn and seem repeatedly to rationalize and naturalize that the staus quos of the author's class interests.
At some point I outlined the chapers but we made little headway. I also presented a paper many years ago now in Scotland that I never published. I will liberally borrow from that. So my thought now is to give us a chance to work on it as a blog and as it matures to invite comment. Given that this topic exercise so many passions working in public may generate more heat than light. But the blog-o-sphere has enough venues for bile that maybe we will be spared. Let's see. - Jeremy Ahouse
All text © 2003-2009 by Jeremy Ahouse
Saturday, July 22, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment